Are you angry or do you experience anger?Don’t worry, you are not alone but guess what…… being angry smothers your soul and those around you, it is much more pleasant to be happy or content. The cool thing about being angry is you have 100% control over it, but maybe you do not have the tools or techniques. Okay so if you yell, get pissed in traffic, get frustrated with your loved ones, hit things, throw things, angry cry, verbally attack others, have zero patience, and yes the list goes on; you have anger issues and it is time for you to get a grip and take control.
5 tips on how to decrease or eliminate anger.
- Learn what your internal (emotional) and external (people, places, and things) triggers are when it comes to being angry. Wife, husband, children, traffic, mean people, nice people, bruised self-esteem, the news, littering, unkempt house are just some examples. Once you can identify your triggers you are now aware and what do I always say about being aware? IF YOU ARE NOT AWARE, YOU WILL AND CANNOT CHANGE.
- Become aware of your physical and emotional cues when it comes to being angry. Our bodies are amazing and will send our brain many messages warning us that the “anger” is coming. We might feel a tightness in our chest or stomach, some might clench their fist or teeth, or one might feel scared or attacked.
- Now that you know your triggers and cues, you hav awareness and can make an action plan. Walk away and cool down (never react when you are feeling emotional), relax and take deep slow breaths, use humor, redirect your thoughts and focus on something fun or productive (work-out, read, listen to music, hang out with a pet), self-talk (tell yourself it is is not worth it, it is not worth it), call someone you trust to vent out the negative energy, and remember being angry is is a poor choice; it not only hurts you but those around you.
- Tell yourself every morning that you are going to choose to have a good day and be a happy or content person no matter what life throws at you.
- Seek therapy if you need more help. A therapist can help you with cognitive restructuring, communication, distortions,and problem solving skills that will also help decrease and/or eliminate anger. http://www.apa.org/topics/anger/control.aspx
Why choose to be happy or content on a daily basis?
Your life will literally change. You will be healthier, the people around you or who you let around you will be healthier and happier, struggles will not seem so hard, and life will just feel lighter. You are worth it, make the change.
These tips come from Ms. Alyssa Warren, owner and practicing clinician at https://www.alyssahelps.com